Saturday, November 12, 2011

Favorite Places

Slowly but surely our house is starting to come together.  We still have a few major projects left (a new fence, new garage doors, exterior paint, and wood floors). It's starting to feel more and more like us everyday. 

I love our house.  Each time I drive down the tree lined streets leading to home, I smile because I am so glad that we waited as long as we did to find the perfect home for us.  I love that we have set down our roots.  Our home is where we will stay into old age.  It will be the place that our children have the fondest memories in and where they will return with their own children.

Here are a few of my favorite spots in our house:
In our upstairs hallway we have a really cool vintage dresser that holds our linens.  On top of it is one of my most beloved material possessions, my typewriter.  I found it at an antique fair in La Mesa a few months after we moved here.  Another woman was haggling with the seller over the price and angrily stomped off when she didn't get her way.  I swooped in and purchased it.  It makes me happy.

Above the typewriter are last years family portraits.  A friend and I took photos together.  She took ours and I took theirs.  We plan to do the same this year.  So soon those photos will be replaced with our new ones soon.

I have been struggling with how to decorate this area in our living room since moving in.  I am finally happy with the results.  The chalkboard doesn't photograph well but it looks cool in real life.  It's a pottery barn piece that I scored at the thrift store for $3.99!  I change the quote weekly.  Currently it has  1 Peter 4:8 on it : Above all Love each other deeply because love covers over a multitude of sin.

We have numerous bookshelves in our home.  They are everywhere.  I decided to get those hand bookends so we could feature our favorite books.  More importantly it is where we keep our library books so we don't have to search everywhere when it is time to return them. We are obsessed with the library so it comes in handy to have a special spot for these books.

My two other favorite items are the vintage San Francisco trolley music box and the volcano rock.  Both represent our annual family trip where we drive up the 101 stopping in San Fran to visit my brother.  I look forward to the trip every year and believe that Northern California is the closest place to heaven i have ever seen.  It is shockingly beautiful. 

No comments: