Monday, October 17, 2011

The Theme Party

Last night Aaron and I went to a MadMen inspired theme party for our friend Drew's Birthday. I am one of those people that would be thrilled if every party had a theme.  I played the part of a disgruntled housewife in a pale blue dress coupled with perfectly hot-rolled hair.

When we arrived, we easily spotted the party thanks to the dozens of minivans parked out front.  It's a clear sign that we are lame when all of our friends drive grocery-getters.

Drew makes Aaron feel uncomfortable because he is toucher.  Neither of them like one another very much but force politeness in each other's company.  As soon as we walked in the door Drew hugged Aaron.  I was inwardly cracking up as Aaron squirmed and Drew fake smiled.

Tipsy people make me feel uncomfortable.  I never realized this before last night.  Their farnk honesty freaks me out.  My friend Heather poured Aaron a hefty amount of whiskey as soon as we entered the party.  That left me with the responsibility of remaining stone-cold sober all evening. It's alarming how quickly people's inhibitions  go as soon as they drink one stiff cocktail. 

Against Aaron's better judgment he drank two large glasses of whiskey and started talking in what he believed to be a normal tone but was actually at an extremely high pitch. When Aaron started talking politics I decided it was time for us to go. 

"Am I embarassing you?" he wanted tto know.

"No, but you may cause me ot lose partial hearing in my left ear." I told him.

I let Aaron sneak out without saying bye to Drew so that he would not have to suffer through another hug. 

I dropped our babysitter at home by ten o'clock.  I am becoming old and sensible. Sigh.


I

No comments: