Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Other Man

On Saturday, I met my friend’s brother for dinner at Claim Jumpers to go over an article I’m writing about him. Afterward we shared a cigarette in the parking lot (Just to clarify, I am merely a social smoker). I was leaning against his car and he was standing next to me. He was in the middle of telling me a story about how he injured his lip playing football with some other Marines when one of the moms from Jake’s Boy Scout pack walked past us. I locked eyes with her for a second. I almost waved but she gave me a funny look. For a minute I thought it was because I was smoking but then I realized it was the cigarette coupled with the idea that it appeared as if I were sharing a romantic moment with a man other than my husband. How embarrassing.

I didn’t say a word. She got in her car and drove away.

“You just made me look like a whore.” I told my friend.

I have a feeling that the moms at Jake’s next pack meeting will be feeling very sorry for my poor husband. Oh well.

I told Aaron when I got home to which he responded, "I think I should milk this and act very depressed at the next scouting event."

Wonderful.