Monday, June 12, 2006

I am the irresponsible one

Starting today Aaron will be gone for three days at the island on one of his work related dive trips. When he is gone I live in complete filth. The kids and I pretend to be on a mini vacation. We get take out almost every evening and stay up late watching the Simpsons and eating otter pops on a big picnic blanket in front on the boob tube. It's kind of like when you were kid and your parents went on a romantic trip for a couple days and mistakenly left the eldest sibling in charge. Only in my case there are no crazy keggers and holes punched through the living room walls. I'm kind of like that eldest sibling only I'm really the mom and ten years older/wiser, a little messier, a tiny bit more mature, and a tad more responsible. I actually make them bathe and feed them vegetables but there is a lot less "rule" following then normal.


These are the things I plan on doing with them Monday-Wednesday:

1. Walk to Gaetano's for an Italian night and stop at the pool on the way home
2. Make a Tent out of blankets in the living room and read bedtime stories with their flash lights
3. Let them sleep in the balnket tent in their sleeping bags
4. Make hot fudge sundaes
5. Go to see over the hedge
6. Pay off the library so that we can check stuff out again

The kids will be super cranky every morning. They always are. That is the biggest drawback to letting them stay up late. One of them always has a complete meltdown about something absurd like an uncomfortable sock or too much milk in their oatmeal. I remind myself that this is the reason why, normally, I put them to bed at a decent hour. Even after the temper tantrums it's still all worth it because the night before they are all smiles. Sometimes it's nice to break out of routines even when you have to deal with the consequences.

By the time Aaron has come back We are all really relieved to see him again because then we can be normal and planned and the kitchen floor will not be sticky. I always spend the day before his return scrubbing and cleaning because I know that nothing is worse then arriving home to a messy house. Mostly all appears normal but then one of the kids open their tiny little mouths about how we had Chinese food two nights in a row and they start using a lot of Homer Simpson's catch phrases and my cover is blown. It becomes quite clear that I have let them rot their brains in front of the TV will feeding them too much MSG. Maybe this time I will actually make a home cooked meal. We will see how things pan out. I took pictures of our new pad before the living in filth phase begins:

Amelia's Fairy room, part of it anyway:

The boy's knight room:

Okay so mostly that's just Amelia sitting on Jake's bed with their dragon stuffed thing, the room pictures looked dumb

My horribly executed living room:

Lastly the Kitchen:

My room has been omitted from this posting due to its state of disaster.

That is all. I am trying really hard to only post two blogs a week because it is becoming some sort of sick addiction but with Aaron gone most of the week I cannot guarantee anything. Out of pure boredom I may end up with a million so sorry in advance.

No comments: